Renting apartment in Bangkok FAQ

FAQ Renting an apartment in Bangkok
FAQ Renting an apartment in Bangkok


What are the General Rental Terms?


What is the minimum Lease Term?


The minimum lease term of our properties is 1 year.


What is a Booking Fee?


A booking fee is normally paid before signing the agreement, to book the property. A booking fee is normally equal to 1 month’s rent, but this amount can be negotiated case-by-case.


In case you paid a booking fee and later on decided not to proceed with the property, your booking fee will be forfeited by the landlord, as he took the property of the market and missed out an opportunity to rent to another party.



How many months’ Security Deposit do I need to pay?


A security deposit equivalent to 2 months is normally paid upon signing the Lease Agreement and returned within 30 days when the tenant moves out, minus potential repair/ damages and outstanding bills.


When renting a commercial property a security deposit equivalent to 3-6 months is paid.


When do i have to pay my rent?


Rental payments are usually made by bank transfer on the date the rental agreement started, usually on the 1st of each month.


Diplomatic Clause


A Diplomatic Clause is generally accepted in Apartment Buildings, however more complicated in case of individual condo owners. Diplomatic Clauses are normally applicable after the 1st year.


Utility Bills


The Tenant usually pays the bill for electricity, water, Internet, and cable TV directly to the service provider. Payment can be made via the app or in person at Tesco Lotus and 7- Eleven stores. The stores will charge 15-20 THB service charge.


Incase you rent in an apartment building, then payment will be made directly to the owner and costs for utilities are usually higher than when living in a condo or a house.


Water authority:

Electricity Authority:

Internet Bills also can be paid at 7- Eleven stores

Phone Bills can be paid via the app or in person at 7- Eleven stores or bank’s ATM



Who pays the agent’s commission?


Agencies normally receive the commission from the Landlord once the lease agreement has been signed.





Most apartments/ condos come fully furnished. Incase you have your own furniture its easier to rent an apartment, as they can take out the furniture and store it.


Most condominium owners cannot take out the furniture as they don’t have a space to keep it. Request to remove or add furniture are treated case-by-case.


Renovation/ Touch-ups


It’s common to request the landlord to repaint some walls, fix holes, make repairs etc before you move into the property.


Inventory List


We check the inventory list and take photos of damages upon moving in. At the end of the lease term and moving out we check the condition again. Normal wear and tear applied.



How does the Apartment Rental process work?

Please find all information about renting an apartment in Bangkok in our blog:

Bangkok rental process step-by-step


How many weeks/months in advance should I start searching?

We recommend starting your search 1-2 months before you intend to sign and move in. Since most condos are ready to move in, the search and rental process can take as little as 7 days. When you move out of another condo, you will need to give a minimum of 1-2 months’ notice beforehand.


What is the minimum Rental period?

Most rental periods are for one year, although some shorter terms (6 months) are available.


What documents do you need when renting an apartment/ condo?

  • A copy of your passport (First page with photo and visa page)
  • A copy of your work permit


What are the extra costs when renting an apartment/ condo?

When renting an apartment/ condo in Bangkok you will have besides the monthly rent, some additional monthly costs to think about. The additional costs can be separated into 2 groups:  Utility Costs and Maintenance costs.

Utility costs: The cost of Electricity, Water, Gas, Internet, Cable TV, and Phone.

The maintenance costs are costs to maintain the property, but when does the Tenant’s responsibility end and the landlord’s responsibility start?


Who is responsible for maintenance issues?

We normally use common practices:


  • Any issues arising from “non-direct” causes are the Landlord’s responsibility.


Example: The fridge/washing machine stops working after 2 months of Tenancy


  • Any damages or issues caused directly by the tenant are his/her responsibility


(I.e. Replacing light bulbs, fixing a dripping tap, staining the living room mat, breaking a cabinet door, crack the shower head) etc.


The Tenant is usually responsible for minor repairs and a maximum amount for such repairs is stated in the Lease agreement. If the repair price exceeds the maximum amount as per the agreement, the landlord may need to pay for the repairs, if the damage is due to wear and tear and not negligence on the part of the Tenant.  The Tenant can contact the Management Office of the Condo, as they usually have handymen onsite.


For serious problems that are not directly the fault of the tenant, the landlord will be responsible. (I.e. Internal water pipe burst, a fridge that suddenly stops working, a water boiler is not functioning, etc.). You can contact the Landlord or our Property Agent to arrange an inspection with a technician to solve the issues.


Usually, if language is an issue when communicating with your landlord, technicians, or building management, our Property Agents are here to provide support by liaising with the different parties!


Based on these two rules, it is advised to raise any issues in the property as soon as you move in. In that way, the Landlord is made aware of the problems in his property and is unlikely to claim that it is the Client’s responsibility.


Secondly, any issues/damages should be immediately alerted to the landlord/ agent or fixed to ensure the problem is not aggravated.


Note: Common Area Fee (CAM Fees), Building Insurance, and Juristic Office fees are covered by the landlord


How much can I negotiate the monthly rental price?

Most Landlords are open to negotiation and can reduce the rental price. The reduction is normally between 5 – 15 % of the rental rate and depends on each owner.


Can I request some extra furniture or appliances?

Yes, extra furniture or appliances (Tv, microwave, etc.) can be requested (Within reason). Most landlords are open to providing these items to guarantee a tenant and/or to ensure they are comfortable during their stay.


Difference between an Apartment and Condo? 

The difference between a Condominium and an Apartment is that Condominium units are individually owned, and the entire apartment building is owned by just one owner.  Each condominium owner must pay a monthly management fee based on the sqm size of their condo to maintain the building and public areas.  Some people prefer to choose an Apartment over a Condominium because apartments are overall more spacious and suit families better than condos.


When you are renting an Apartment in Bangkok and have your own furniture, most of the time the Landlord can take out their furniture or move it to another unit, which is normally not possible when renting a Condominium, as owners don’t have space to store it.


Also, when you are working for a multinational company or Embassy, your company most of the time pays your rent and will ask for a company contract with your landlord, which most condominium owners do not accept.


Another advantage is that most owners of Apartment Buildings do accept pets, which is not allowed in most Condominiums.


The disadvantage of apartments is that the utility costs are higher than when you are renting a condo. When you rent a condo in Bangkok you pay the Electricity costs directly to the MEA, but in an Apartment building, you pay directly to your new Landlord at a marked-up price.


What if I have to leave Thailand before the lease is finished?

Generally, if you have to leave Thailand before the end of the lease term you will forfeit your security deposit.

If I need to end my lease early, any way to recover my deposit?

Normally it is difficult to recover the deposit if you terminate the lease agreement before the end of the lease term. Depending on each individual owner, there are 2 possible options to insert in the rental agreement:


  • Diplomatic Clause/ Break Clause

This clause states that a lease can be early terminated with a refund of the deposit in full, provided there is adequate notice, and a minimum rental period is guaranteed (I.e. Minimum 1-year contract).


  • Lease Takeover

This tactic consists of finding a “replacement tenant” that can take over your lease. While this may make practical sense, most landlords refuse this solution as the quality of the next replacement tenant cannot be guaranteed.


Do I have to pay a commission to an agent for finding me a property in Bangkok?

No, for Renters/ Buyers, our service is free of charge. We get our commission from the landlords.


How much agent commission do I have to pay?

When it comes to rental commission, the general rule of thumb is that the agent will receive 1 month’s commission (equal to 1 month’s rent) for a 1-year lease and a 1.5-month commission for a 2-year lease. For a 1-year lease extension, the commission is usually 0.5 months, but this is based on a case-by-case situation. If the lease duration is shorter than 12 months, the commission will be paid based on a pro-rated basis.


It’s important to remember that the rental commission is a fee for our assistance in finding you a tenant, and all the following services are included at no additional charge:


  • Take photos/videos of your property
  • List your property on our website and portals
  • Prepare a draft lease agreement
  • Make an Inventory list and take photos of damages
  • Support during the Tenancy (Coordination in case of problems etc.)
  • TM 30 Report of Tenant


Example of Commission payment, when the rental is 100,000 THB per month

    • 6 Months Contract= 0.5 Month Rent Commission (50,000 THB)
    • 1 Year Contract= 1 Month Rent Commission (100,000 THB)
    • 2 Years Contract= 1.5 Month Rent Commission (150,000 THB)
    • 3 Years Contract= 2 Month Rent Commission (200,000 THB)


When it comes to overseas landlords, many opt for the convenience of hiring a property management service that will handle maintenance, tenancy support, and other tasks — but this does come with extra costs. There is no one-size-fits-all rate when it comes to property management fees charged by these companies so make sure you do your research before signing any contracts!


How does the check-out/move-out process work?

1-2 months before the expiry of your lease, notify our Property Agent/ Landlord that you will not be renewing the lease and move out.


When moving out, ensure all personal belongings are removed from the property (including small items such as food in the fridge and even boxes) and the apartment is clean and presentable.


At the beginning of the lease, our agent made complete documentation of photo inventory for the unit. During the moving-out check, the condition of the condo will be checked against the photographs. Any damages not due to normal wear and tear will be documented. The Tenant will then need to sign the document to acknowledge the damages during the moving-out check. The Tenant and Landlord then discuss how the repairs will be done.


Most of the time the landlord will arrange the repairs, as the Tenant does not have access to the condo anymore and the landlord will show the bills to the Tenant and deduct the costs from the deposit and return the balance.


When will my Deposit be refunded?

This depends on the terms stipulated in the rental lease agreement. Our lease agreement states that the Security Deposit will be refunded within 30 Days after moving out, provided that the apartment is in good condition.


How are deductions calculated/evaluated?

Unfortunately, there is no standard calculation on the amount for damages, since these costs are normally calculated by the technicians based on the required work, materials, etc


Our agents normally take photos of damages upon moving in, to prevent problems when moving out and a quick return of the deposit. If there are any damages in the apartment, technicians/handymen are called in to assess the issue; receipts for works conducted are usually requested and deductions are made accordingly.


How do I renew my Rental Lease?

Contact our property agent 1-2 months before the expiry of your lease.  We will try to renegotiate the Lease Agreement on similar terms. New paperwork will be prepared and signed with the extended dates.


Do Condos come equipped with WIFI and Cable TV?

WIFI and Cable TV are usually not installed in the condos and will be the Tenant’s responsibility to set up and eventually cancel WIFI and Cable TV services at the end of the lease term.


How do I set up WIFI and Cable?

Take the original copy of your signed Lease Agreement and your original passport to any internet provider shop. They will ask you to select a package and they will then arrange for a technician to visit the condo for the WIFI/Cable setup. Normally it takes 3 working days before they come to install and there will be an installation fee.


Some popular Internet Providers:


What happens if the Tenant fails to pay the rent on time?

It is always important to state the penalty for late payment in the Lease agreement.  Most landlords will include a penalty of 500-1000 THB per day for late payment.


Is the property cleaned before I move in?

Yes, the property is cleaned before you are moving in and usually the air-conditioning is cleaned as well.


Do landlords usually allow pets?

Most buildings do not allow pets; however, we have a large selection of pet-friendly buildings in Bangkok


Are most properties for rent furnished or unfurnished?

Almost all apartments and condos for rent in Bangkok are fully furnished and it’s difficult to have the furniture removed. In case you have your own furniture it’s easier to rent an apartment, as they can take out the furniture and store it. Most condominium owners cannot take out the furniture as they don’t have a space to keep it.


What is a TM 30 Form?

TM 30, also known as the “Notification from House-Master, Owner or Possessor of the Residence where Alien has Stayed” form is a required document for international travelers.


What is the purpose of this notification?

The TM30 form and notification is a tool utilized by the government to keep track of where each foreign visitor is staying during their stay in Thailand. Both Thai and Foreign hosts/landlords are obligated to inform the government as soon as possible, ideally within 24 hours, that they have a foreigner staying with them at all times.


Who should do the notification?

The host/landlord of a property, hotel or service apartment must make sure to report any foreign guests staying there. If they do not report in time, this could result in a fine ranging from 800 THB to 1,600 THB per person – even if the landlord reports late by several months. This is usually as high as the penalty goes for such an offense.


If you are a visitor or renter, do not overlook the importance of TM30; many expats have noted that this document is necessary for visa extensions and when reporting to Immigration offices every 90 days. Therefore, neglecting it could be detrimental in the future!


Foreigners have reported issues while attempting to use their insurance at the hospital after treatment when they didn’t possess a TM30 receipt. To ensure an easy experience and avoid any potential complications, it is highly recommended that you obtain your TM30 receipt prior to seeking medical care.


What to prepare for TM30 report?

As a foreigner staying in Thailand, you should prepare:


  • a copy of your passport (photo page)
  • a copy of the visa page in your passport and
  • a copy of the departure card (or write down the number on the copy of your passport)


The landlord should prepare:

    • Completed TM.30 application form
    • Copy of the Tabien Baan or Chanote of the property
    • Copy of the rental contract
    • Copy of ID card or passport


Landlords have the option to pass on their obligation of reporting TM30 information to a property manager. Therefore, they must provide written authorization with stamps from the tax office in order for this matter to be handled properly. As soon as notification is completed, tenants and guests can obtain a stamped receipt that should be presented when applying for visa extensions or visiting Thai Immigration. This document will serve as proof that all necessary requirements were fulfilled by the landlord or property manager.


How to report the TM 30?

Submitting your TM30 registration to the Immigration Office via post can be done quickly and easily. Don’t forget to include a return envelope in order for you to receive the stamped notification of stay receipt! The entire process should take, at most, two-four weeks.


The most straightforward way to get confirmation is by visiting the Immigration Office in person.


TM30 Online Registration

You can conveniently file a TM30 Application to inform immigration authorities of your foreign tenant’s stay through both the Immigration Website and App (available on Android or iOS).


For English speakers who don’t understand Thai, it is strongly advised that you use the App to make this process easier. After downloading the App from either Play or Apple Store, the initial step is registering your rental property with immigration. Registering is hassle-free and requires basic data regarding you as landlord and details of the property itself.


When submitted, within an hour a confirmation email will be sent to notify:




*System will ask the user to update their password after their first login.

To register your property, click on “Notification of Residence” and you will be taken to the registration screen.

Fill out all pertinent information, including:

      • Tenant Check-in Date/Tenant Check-out Date
      • Tenant Personal Details (e.g., Passport Number, Name, Date of Birth)
      • Tenant Immigration Details (e.g., TM6 No., Date of Arrival in Thailand)


Once the data is complete and any documents are uploaded – such as photos – simply press “submit”.


Hereby the Immigration website for Notification of residence for foreigners


Example TM30 Application Form

TM 30 Form
TM 30 Form




Amazing Properties is a registered Real estate agency in Bangkok with an extensive selection of condos, apartments, and houses for rent in the Sukhumvit and Sathorn area.


Are you looking to rent an apartment in Bangkok?


You are welcome to browse our new website with a great selection of rental options or feel free to contact us via


  • Phone: 096-9963696
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Line id: amazingproperties
  • Website:

     You might also be interested to read: