What is a Tabien baan or Thai house book?

What is a Tabien baan or Thai house book?

Yellow Tabien Baan
Yellow Tabien Baan

Tabien Baan or Thai House Book is a mandatory local government-issued address and resident registration booklet issued by the Amphur (municipality), containing information about all residents inhabiting the house or condo.


This administrative document is essential for anyone living in Thailand, ensuring their legal residence at that specific location.
Don’t be mistaken – this document has nothing to do with a house or condo ownership. It is actually an official booklet, issued by the local municipality (not land department) that registers and confirms one’s legal residence (official domicile). A foreign non-resident owner may not have their name on the House Book unless they have received a form of residency in Thailand. Therefore, while it cannot act as proof of ownership, it can still prove where someone legally resides.


Yellow or blue Thai house book?


Thailand has 2 types of house books (with a blue or yellow cover):


• -For Thai nationals, the Blue Tabien Baan or ‘Blue House Book’ (Thor.Ror.14)
• -For Foreigners, the Yellow Tabien Baan, otherwise known as the Yellow House Book (Thor.Ror.13)


A house book is an essential document that proves domicile and is required for various official registration procedures. Examples of such include the transfer of ownership, opening a bank account, or applying for electricity /telephone line connection. Possession of a house book also grants Thais the right to vote in their designated district.


For foreigners who don’t have a Thai house book, they may present either an address verification letter issued by the local immigration office or their condominium title deed in combination with the (empty) blue tabien baan and passport if proof of address is required.


If a foreigner owns a condominium, the blue house book will typically remain blank unless there are Thai nationals residing in it.


House book application
Thais are issued a Bluebook while foreign residents receive a Yellow book as the official house book for any type of residence, such as houses and condominium apartments (whether registered under the Condominium Act or not).


Blue books are the standard issue, but if a foreigner meets certain criteria, it may be exchanged for a yellow book. To make this exchange from a blue book of residence to a yellow book possible, applicants must present specific documents along with the application form. These could include:

(It is wise to always check with your Amphur district office for their specific requirements, but the list below serves as a sample of documents that may be necessary when applying for a yellow book)


• a non-immigrant visa
• copy passport with (official) translation.
• work permit
• marriage certificate
• Title deed
• documents relating to the land and right to use and possess the land (consent land owner)
• building permit.


For foreigners, the tabien baan document is not essential. If you own a condo or house (not including land) as an expat in Thailand, you’ll likely get a blank blue house registration book rather than its yellow counterpart.


Despite its limited legal value for foreigners, there is generally no need to exchange a blue tabien baan for a yellow one. A yellow book does not provide any additional benefits. Nevertheless, if you are married to a Thai national and living in Thailand, it would be beneficial to have your name appear on the household registry of where you live together as marital partners since this will serve as valid proof that this location is your permanent residence (permanent home). For Thais especially, they use their house books primarily because it serves as evidence of showing their place of legal residency officially recognized by the government.

FAQ -Frequently Asked Questios
FAQ -Frequently Asked Questios

Frequently Asked Questions


What is Tabian Baan?
Obtaining a Tabien baan or Thai house book is an essential part of obtaining your official residence address and registration by the local government (amphur). It is an imperative document for Thai citizens in order to ensure that their residency can be accurately tracked.


What is a blue book in Thailand?
When making a car purchase, opening a bank account, or even seeking visas for foreign travel in Thailand, the blue book is unquestionably accepted as the official proof of residential address. It’s essential to have this document on hand when navigating these processes and verifying your place of residence.


What is a yellow house book in Thailand?
The Yellow House Book, otherwise known as the Tabien Baan (literally meaning ‘House Registration’ in Thai), is a government-issued record that discloses any foreign individuals living at the given address with either Temporary or Long Stay visas. It serves as an authoritative document for all persons staying within the country on such permits.


What is the benefit of Yellow book?
With a Yellow Book in hand, you have access to several advantages—such as the ability to open up a bank account or purchase real estate without obtaining official residency papers from your local immigration office. You’ll also be able to apply for and renew driving licenses with ease



Amazing Properties is a registered Real estate agency in Bangkok with an extensive selection of condos, apartments, and houses for rent in the Sukhumvit and Sathorn area.


Are you looking to rent or buy a condo in Bangkok?


You are welcome to browse our new website with a great selection of rental options or feel free to contact us via


Email: [email protected]
Line id: amazingproperties


You might want to read :
Benjakitti Forest Park
Pet-Friendly Buildings in Phrom Phong
Renting Commercial Property in Bangkok
Best Preschools and Kindergartens in Bangkok